Say Hello To The Forum

seems a bit quiet on this forum so I suppose no harm in livening the place up with a more thorough introductory.  I'm 38, American originally from Florida.  I was a trapeze performer with a traveling Romanian circus group for over a decade but finally gave that up after one too many falls on the head and now just kick back and enjoy expat life here in the Queen City of the South.   I still suffer from dizzy spells and intrusive thoughts but as long as I take my medicine i seem to hold things together. The only tough time I really have here in Cebu City is when it's Sinulog time as I get compulsions to tackle one of the performers so I can don their flamboyant outfit with head dress and prance around Osmena circle.  If anyone knows of a disco or nite spot with a high swing please let me know as it may help me in satisfying my intrusive compulsions.  I still have some stretchy pants and sequinned blouses and as long as the doormen at the nite spots let me in wearing that outfit I will be good to go.   

Do any other members have strange compulsions or am I the only one?      

18 hours ago, Globetrotter said:

Hi Sylvester.

The forum just started up last days of July. Do same a few others and myself, be active on this forum and share your experience from life in Cebu, and the Philippines.

Ah OK thanks I didn't realize this forum is so new.  Living in Cebu City is very enjoyable as long as you're not in a hurry as traffic can be tough.  Here in Banawa things get clogged up during morning and evening rush hour.  Capitol area is the same.  As long as you plan ahead and avoid those times of day then the roads are not so bad.    

Yes, I'm an expat and currently live in Tacloban.

I asked about the rules right off as I have been a member of other message boards in the past where if you post anything negative about the PI (even if its the truth) you will be banned immediately.I was just wondering what the Admins take on this subject was.(Are you Admin,a mod,or perhaps the owner ?)I have a lot of experience with the PI going back almost 35 years but lost my rose colored glasses on the flight over.Please advise. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Lakenheath said:

Yes, I'm an expat and currently live in Tacloban.

I asked about the rules right off as I have been a member of other message boards in the past where if you post anything negative about the PI (even if its the truth) you will be banned immediately.I was just wondering what the Admins take on this subject was.(Are you Admin,a mod,or perhaps the owner ?)I have a lot of experience with the PI going back almost 35 years but lost my rose colored glasses on the flight over.Please advise. Thanks.

Im just a average member, one of the few active. Can't talk on behalf of the owner, but he said use common sense.

Personally I find it lack of respect to the country and its citizens, to talk bad about their country.  I mean they all know it already.  If we foreigners and visitors moan and complaining, well it doesn't change anything anyway. It's like bitching and complaining about the darn weather ........  It still poor down, right.

Last days headline about the 84 year old foreigner professor at the airport, can / should serve as a reminder to us all to show more respect to the country we visit, or live in.

As we all get older, its normal to become negative and complain about most things.  I still remember my sweet old grandmother.  Sweet and nice to me all day long, but always complained about anything and everything.  Would be nice if we together could build a forum with less complaining.

Other forums these days talks about those among themselves who wear same clothes for days ..... Another forum talk about mosquitos, dogs and cats .....

This new forum came at the right time, for sure. Let's all step carefully, until Admin have time to finish the rules, and post them.

Didn't come here to complain about the PI, its people or anything else. Nothing that you or I say will change this place a bit.

IMO though, people who are considering moving to the PI should be aware exactly what they are up against---the good,the bad,and the ugly.Long term expats--people that have lived here for decades seem to be willing to accept over time the "bad" as the new norm and grow testy when these issues are even discussed.This isn't fair to the people that might come behind them.

Haven't heard the foreign professor at the airport story yet---will look into it. L

Well, many government in the region are very sensitive to negative comments about their country the last years, take Thailand as a example. One can't just write anything anymore, about a country.

A forum is a public place, and forum owner is responsible for all content he allow to be posted on his forum. A well know Thai forum, have 30+ moderators who use half of their time only to hide delete posts, that are critical to the country. I get your point, but its different times as of lately.

Do you think that expat msg boards are being monitored by the Phil Gov and negative comments noted and acted upon? I have seen this suggested before.

I think that I found the 84 yr old professor story on this site. He had been a protestor in the past and upon his return the PI was nabbed at the airport---is that correct? If so, you can't  come here or a lot of other countries and think that you can have a voice in politics,etc. You gave that up when you left home.Wonder how much longer the 70 odd year old nun who is facing deportation on similar charges has left in this country???

9 minutes ago, Lakenheath said:

Do you think that expat msg boards are being monitored by the Phil Gov and negative comments noted and acted upon? I have seen this suggested before.

I don't think so.  I know so, from many examples from thaivisa forum, and many incidents that happened in Thailand, after post that was too critical, and also how to fool their former easy visa regulations.

EDIT: this is say hello thread. Lets not continue this off topic here.

Edited by Globetrotter
  • 2 weeks later...